Re: [oletrucks] Tie rod ends

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tie rod ends
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:14:12 -0800
That was me posting most recently.  I got my kit from Golden State back
in about 1998.  You can use your original tie rod (if the ends are tie
rod ends then I'm calling the long rod in the center a tie rod), tho I
also got a sturdier one in case I run over stumps or something.  Who,
me?  They supplied later type tie rod ends to replace the original
ball/socket style for about 45 bucks.  You have to grind off the bottom
end of the steering arms and have the ball studs pushed out, then the
new tie rod ends go in that new hole.  Since my driver's side one wore
out after 10,000 miles, I just ordered a replacement.  I still have some
questions too:

I took the tie rod end into NAPA and they couldn't find one like it.
What do they come from?

I don't know the application (like, '75 Chevy/John
Deere/Mercedes/whatever) that the tie rod end is for, so I ordered
another one from Golden State.  The guy asked me which side.  "The one
with the right hand threads."  Which side of the truck?  I put it on the
driver's side, but you could put it either way.  I wanted the grease
zirqs pointing backwards because they would be a little easier to
reach.  So I told him driver's side, I guess I have a 50/50 chance of
getting the part I want.  If I don't get the correct one, I found out
later that LMC sells replacement style tie rod ends for 20 bucks.  I'll
get the other one from them.  But does it make any difference which side
goes where?

Another question:  should the tie rod ends go into the steering arm
holes from the top or bottom?  I thought the ball studs came out the
top, but I could be remembering wrong.  I put mine new ones in from the
top for an extra couple inches of ground clearance, but if that's wrong
and they have a taper, that would explain the quick wear.   Hard driving
on wash board gravel roads with heavy loads of dirt, rocks, and firewood
probably didn't help.

Here are a couple links to sites with instructions for the procedure:
http://www.chevytrucks.org/

http://www.classictruckshop.com/t2.asp

The second link is a little slow for me, the article is in the project
articles section.  And I, too, had to have a machinist press out the old
ball studs, I think it took about 25 tons.  Beating on them did me no
good.  :-)  Good luck, and let me know if you find anything else out.
The list venders also sell rebuild kits for the original style tie rod
ends, if you decide not to switch.
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside

Neal wrote:
Have a 57 chevy and saw someone earlier had posted something about
converting
to late model tie rod ends. Can I use my original center link and does
anyone
have part numbers for ends. Any info is greatly appreciated. thanx
neal