[oletrucks] Rochester carburator help needed

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rochester carburator help needed
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:24:41 -0600
I need some help from somebody with a workshop manual (I just recently
got the truck but haven't got a workshop manual yet).  The truck (my '49
Chevy 3/4 ton wrecker) has what appears to be a later 235 engine in it
with a Rochester carburetor on it.  The carburetor appears to flooding
when the truck is idling.  The truck will start right up when it is cold
but, after I have driven it a little when it is idling for a little
while fuel starts streaming out from where the throttle shaft exits the
base of the carburetor.  This causes the engine to die (and even if I
shut it off) and be very difficult to restart.  I am assuming that the
float is miss adjusted or the needle valve has some dirt in it or it is
worn.  I need to use the wrecker to move one more truck (the 51 GMC 1
ton parts truck that I go with it) today and then I need it later in the
week to help load the '48 and '50 Dodge trucks that I am selling (I used
the wrecker yesterday to haul the Dodges out of the garage and it picked
them up and hauled them easily) and plan to pull the top off of the carb
later this morning and check out the needle valve and float.  Does any
body know what  the fuel level (or float height) should be in the float
bowl?  Assume a mid 50s Rochester carb on a 235 engine.  Thanks.  After
this week I plant to put it in the garage and do a little work on it.

Kevin