Re: [oletrucks] Tranny Identifacation

To: "Simkins Ernest" <simkinse@spot.colorado.edu>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tranny Identifacation
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:16:52 -0500
E, first, it can't be an automatic with an H pattern. Second, no automatics
will bolt to old six w/out big adapter on engine and it is powerglide, cast
iron and huge. Third, 49 has closed driveshaft originally, so this is
something newer already.
I believe all you have is an aftermarket shifter that bolts to any trans at
the tail housing, sets to the side some, and fella hacks a new hole in floor
to accomidate it. It could be a 55 or newer truck or car trans. They used
these way up to 80's in cars. There won't be a different shifter type, most
all those are same mounting and etc. There are better quality ones at one
time, not so sure you can buy many 3spd shifters anymore. Most were junk
anyway, long throws, locked up all the time and etc.
My opinion, go for a stock SM420 4spd from trucks, used till 67, make sure
get one with later open drive line, put in two piece driveshaft and support
bearing for it, and shifter will be in center, you may need the 4spd trans
cover for floor as it humps up in center.  This is a working trans, w/granny
low you don't use in reg driving. Course, if you're looking for a hot rod
type fast shifter, THAT won't be it. Very few trannies will bolt to old
sixes. You have to have the 63 or newer six to get the common Chevy
bellhousing pattern. You can put most anything on them. I'm assuming this is
the orig 216 engine?
I can't help with numbers, takes a guy with old part books. Think that is a
GM part number at end. Sure looks like it could be from  1955 though. Maybe
not. Take off floor cover over trans and take a picture to post link to.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
glperry@fwi.com
Big AD trucks, COE