Re: [oletrucks] rear end

To: <Wdonohoe1@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:08:26 -0500
I don't understand?? You have a 1-ton, I get that. Now, you want to put in a
2spd rear from a 2-ton truck???
2-tons usually have 10 lug wheels, only use 5 of them for front, unless you
have Fird or Dodge and some years GMCs. I say NO way to change to lighter
8-lug wheels. You CAN buy 10-lug wheels in 19.5" size with tubeless tires in
8" width off a HD3500 truck or Motorhomes or Delivery chassis. Go to big
truck tire stores to  find those. If you don't have just a flat-bed on
truck, they won't fit in fenders of stock box. The big rear will raise truck
up at odd angle. The gears in 2spds are not   higher than your 1-ton, but
lower, like around 6.** to 1 in high and 8.** to 1 in low  range. If  you
are looking for more speed for cruising hiways, that is not the answer. Buy
a later model 1-ton rear and you may get 4:10's but be better than early
5.74 or whatever.  I'm guessing here, you didn't say what year or brand
truck was.  Course, the Monster trucks use big truck or military axles all
the time, just that they make everything on truck  from scratch, more than
you want to do I hope!

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
glperry@fwi.com