[oletrucks] questions on a mid 70's 3/4 ton IFS swap into 1 ton

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] questions on a mid 70's 3/4 ton IFS swap into 1 ton
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 07:56:16 -0600
Ok, we've made the decision to go with a 3/4 ton mid 70's
IFS in our 1 ton panel.  After we picked up the assembly over
the weekend I started taking closer dimension checks and
am a little stumped on a couple of things.

The one article I read on the internet about someone
swapping in a 3/4 ton IFS into a 3/4 AD truck mentioned that
the wheel spacing was 2" wider per side that stock.  As near
as I can tell from my measurements its more like 3.5" wider
per side  than stock.  Its a little tough to get accurate
measurements and what makes it even more confusing for
me is the fact that our truck came with 8-lug ford rims
(around 1992 vintage).  I came up with about 58" from face of
brake drum to face of brake drum on our 1-ton, where as on
the 3/4 IFS I came up with about 65" from face of hub to face
of hub.

Am I missing something here?!

If these numbers really are correct are there replacement
wheels out there (16") that have more offset to help tuck the
wheels back under the fenders some?  If so, who sells them?

Thanks

Brad
1953 1-ton panel school bus