RE: [oletrucks] brake shoes

To: "Edward Miller" <edngael@open.org>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] brake shoes
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:06:28 -0600
Smaller shoe on the front is the right answer.  The front shoe tends to be
"self energizing" (pulls itself toward the drum) due to the rotation of the
drum while driving forward with the brakes applied.  The rear shoe tends to
work the opposite way.  To get equal stopping power from each shoe the rear
shoe needs additional area.