Re: [oletrucks] Dusty's Truck has gotten hard-starting

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Dusty's Truck has gotten hard-starting
From: Bruce K <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:41:13 -0600
Are you sure it's ignition?  A fuel problem that lets the carb drain
out or gives a lean mixture on startup could cause this too.

Are you feeding 12 volts to the coil (bypassing the ballast resistor)
when the engine is cranking?  There should be a bypass wire from
a terminal on the starter to the coil side of the ballast resistor.

Also, really dumb question, but are you using the choke?  (What's
that!?) These old engines don't have automatic chokes to give a rich
mixture to start the truck.  The choke is the butterfly valve on
top of the carb.  It should be hooked up to a choke cable from inside
the cab that allows it to be closed when the engine is started cold.
This is one of those things that modern cars and trucks haven't
had for over 30 years and younger people either forget or never knew
about.

The Chevy inline 6's are some of the best cold starting engines ever
built.  Even at 45 below, if there was enough battery to turn the
engine over, it would start.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt Iron, MN