[oletrucks] Strange engine - may be a "Forgotten" 261

To: Ayelander52@aol.com, oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Strange engine - may be a "Forgotten" 261
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:33:56 -0600
Nick,

Below is a reply that I got last night from Gary last night concerning
an article on Jim Carter's web site about the 261 engine.  It is a good
article, here is the link to it: The Forgotten 261
<http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00546.2.2281194299446774777>
 Unfortunately because of the manifolds on the engine I can't see the
other set of captains bars that they are referring to.  The one thing
that does concern me after reading the article is that I don't have an
external oil filter, but my block may be early enough that it didn't
have that provision.  I'll let you know what else I find out.

Kevin

Gary's message:

Kev, to to Carter's parts site (link at www.stovebolt.com
<http://www.stovebolt.com>) and he has a
technical part for "the forgotten 261 stovebolt" with lots of #'s info and
such and pictures too. I think you are right on the numbers as I recall. You
can use a 235 head, but only if you bore water cooling holes in it first.
That's discussed in the article too. If you go to Stovebolt site and look at
forums, either the Lounge or the Engine and Drivetrain forums have a fella
asking all the same questions and the link to Carter's site is in that
posting.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
glperry@fwi.com <mailto:glperry@fwi.com>
Big AD trucks, COE
MM tractors and 1 Oliver!

 Kevin:  Almost sounds like my engine that I can't identify.  My head has
the same casting number 3836848 GM16 which Inliners say is 1956 235ci.  The
Block description sounds like mine.  Only numbers on the Flat to the rear
of the distributor says F1019K which nobody can make any sense of.  Down
below that next to the Starter is a Casting CD109 again no one has made any
sense of.  I also have those two "hack" marks.  I also have the "breather"
pipe between the distributor and the fuel pump.  I was suspecting a 261 but
have been unable to confirm.  Hopefully the super-slueths out there can help
us both out.  Is it feasible to have a 261 with 235 Heads?  To the 261 owners
out there - where are the specific markers on those blocks?  Any other things
that set it apart from a 235?

Nick K.

51 3100