Re: [oletrucks] blazer frame

To: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] blazer frame
From: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:03:24 -0800
Suprisingly, today I saw that same truck parked at a local auto repair shop
where I'm acquainted with the owner.  I stopped to visit and look.

Its a '55 1st series and says 100 on the cab.  It is a long wheel base
truck, which I thought meant it must have been a 3/4 ton, but looking at my
repair manual apparently they did make 1/2 ton long wheel base GMC's.  Did
they do that with Chevy's too?

The axles under it are said to be from a 1970 1/2 ton Chevrolet, and it has
the engine transmission and transfer case (according to the guy working on
it) that would be appropriate for a '70.

I expected to see a later frame underneath the truck, but looking at it I
see things such as the original brake line brackets where the hard line and
rubber line join above the front axle and a very sloppy looking weld for the
bracket mounting the power steering box.  At the rear the shock absorber
brackets have changed, but otherwise it looks just like my 55 1st.

Turns out the owner is someone I know of, though I've never met him.  I was
told he bought this truck in Pendleton, Oregon, which would be at least 300
miles from here, depending on your route.  The truck is very straight and
clean with good paint and a nice interior.

I stopped in Pendleton a couple years ago and looked at an AD truck with
four-wheel drive sitting at a car lot.  It needed paint, but  I'm suspecious
that this is the same truck.  The interesting thing about that truck is that
I first saw it about 20 miles from here at a cruise-in three or four years
ago.