Re: [oletrucks] big truck (Your Opinion)

To: debjonjd@vianet.ca, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] big truck (Your Opinion)
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:11:36 -0600
John:

It might be helpful if you gave us a little more information on the truck.
For example:

If you go tow truck, you'll have to have a tranny with an option to install
a PTO (power take off).  Most wreckers used a cable winch driven off the
trans or the newer ones use a hydraulic pump (still driven off the trans).
Would this project be a hobby or are you planning to make real use of the
truck (like for a business?).

Snow plow means you'll be doing a lot of stopping, turning, backing up.
Does the truck have power steering, manual trans?  Most newer snow plows use
a 12 volt motor driving a hydraulic pump.  Does the truck have an alternator
or generator?

Car hauler, you mentioned the truck appears to have a short wheelbase.  Any
flatbed may require you lengthen the frame and again, a tip-up/roll-off bed
and winch may require a PTO on the trans to work well.

Not trying to discourage you, but think carefully about what you want to do
with the truck and make sure you aren't in for a lot of 'hidden' costs after
you've started the project.  Whatever you do, good luck!  It's great to see
someone willing to keep the 'big' trucks rolling.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside
Pontiac, IL