Re: [oletrucks] big truck (Your Opinion)

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] big truck (Your Opinion)
From: "Mike Boteler" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:34:47 -0500
Hi John,

Check the mileage, most fire trucks are low.  If it had a mid-shaft pump
then the odometer will reflect the stationary pump time as well as the
Hi-way miles.  If the pump was PTO driven then the odometer will only show
Hi-way miles.  It wont reflect the pump "run time" and the motor will have
allot more actual hours than what the mileage would leave you to believe.

If the brakes have never been redone (new steel and rubber lines, rebuilt MC
and Hydrovac, new wheel cylinders, etc.), than they should be, they are 50
years old now!!!   Depending on whether you need the shoes relined, expect
to spend at least $500 on parts.  I'm doing all of this work right now on my
'57 and I have over $700 invested (I have 2 wheel cylinders per wheel).
When done the entire system will be better than new.

Look on "that" auction site to see how cheap fire trucks are selling, $2000
might be TOP dollar for that truck.  Not to many people looking to rebuild
the BIG trucks.

Things to look at next time.  Does it have 4 or 5 speed transmission?
Single or 2 speed rear (if single than top speed will be about 50mph)?  Does
it have split rims or Bud wheels (tubeless)?  Power steering?  6 or 12 volt
system?

Take pictures so we can all see it!!

Good luck!

Mike Boteler