Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic : opinions on early Chevy 350 diesel

To: GremlinGTs@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic : opinions on early Chevy 350 diesel
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:17:20 -0600
I suggest staying away from any of the 70-80's GM diesels.  They were
glorified gas engines that GM tried to adapt to diesels and were very
unreliable.  I worked on many of them in the late 70's and was not
impressed.  In my opinion they are more trouble than they are worth (not to
mention they may be getting hard to find parts for).  I saw several
Caterpillar 3208 V-8 diesels in some F350 (1-ton) pickups (custom installs I
helped with), but these were very heavy and at the time there was no
economical auto trans capable of handling the torque and power.

Any of the 90's and up diesels are fairly well built, but are also heavy
(that's why you seldom see them in anything smaller than a 3/4 or 1-ton
truck).  The Navistar "PowerStroke" V-8 (built for Ford) and the newer Isuzu
DuraMax diesels are good performers, but due to their torque, must be
carefully matched to the right transmission so as not to prematurely
wear-out anything behind the engine.

You may need to do some special reinforcing of the frame and make sure you
have a front suspension that's up to the task for the extra weight.

I'll admit having a diesel in an old truck would be unique, but do your
homework and good luck!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL