Re: [oletrucks] Trailering Trucks....

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Trailering Trucks....
From: "Mike Boteler" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 02:14:22 -0500
I have towed many thousands of miles and I have always strapped my vehicles
with 4 axle straps.  Each straps should be rated for at least 3 times the
load (or close to it), a 3500# truck should have (4) 10,000# straps holding
it down.  I also connect the straps parallel to the trailer side rails,
never in an X pattern.  If one of the straps was to break in the X method,
there is nothing to keep the load from walking off to the strapped side or
in a panic stop to hold the load at all!  In the parallel method if one
breaks the second won't allow the load to shift sideways or front to back.

I also believe in connecting via the axles not the frame.  If connected to
the frame there will be a HUGE amount of energy applied to the strap every
time the car bounces (just waiting to break something).  Most of the NEW car
carriers use HEAVY chain and draw the load right down to the axle bumper
stops, not allowing the load to move at all (can't generate any energy that
way).

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Stake
'56 6400 Stake