[oletrucks] Cool gadgets for old trucks - BSM ( Battery Status Monitor )

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Cool gadgets for old trucks - BSM ( Battery Status Monitor )...
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:02:10 EST
    I remember a ways back, we had some discussion on the list about neat or
cool items we'd like to see for our old trucks. I ran across one looking for
a VERY simple voltage monitor for the charging systems. While searching a
friend's suggested website, I found this one, albeit in jolly ol' England.
It's a fairly cheap 1-LED device, that changes color with different voltage
levels, and has only two wires, and is a sealed unit, seems to be about 21mm
square cube ( around an inch ). This would be perfect for either trucks, cars
, or motorcycles. Simple and inexpensive indicator, and won't be damaged if
you reverse the leads accidentally! I found another home-made device with
schematic at another site with 2 LEDs, one for undercharge, one for over, if
you're a do-it-yourselfer.
   Anyway, I have no economic interest in these, other than I wish I had a
simple way to just check the voltage! There's also a more sophisticated one,
nicely packaged in a round housing that fits the cig lighter outlet, but it
was $50, had a 3-LED segmented display. That's way overkill, but if you have
a show-truck it would look nice. :) Anyway, the first single-LED model
website is listed below. They want 15 pounds for it ( not flab, cash! ), so
not sure what that translates to in American. :)

http://www.nanocontrols.co.uk/auto/bsm.htm#order    OR
http://www.aoservices.co.uk/

 I might decide to order a couple, I can always use something like that. I
might also build the simple over/undercharge indicator, that seems simple
enough, and I have enough breadboarding experience that I can DO it, just
might procrasinate so I DON'T. LOL. Anyway, that's all from me, just thought
I'd pass it on.

Jerry in (snowy) Virginia, expecting more tonight.