[oletrucks] sm420 history/data/discussion needed

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] sm420 history/data/discussion needed
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 11:48:06 -0600
I am tired of being in the dark on these sm420 trannies used in our
(47-54?) 55-59 (and up to 67?) gm trucks.
as with everything in my life, i want to know everything there is to
know about them.  such as:

1.) EXACTLY what years were they used?
2.)How many configurations are there? (i've noticed what I think
were slight differences on housing castings - different ridges on top
plate or whatnot). Also, a list member says he has sm420s with
handbrakes. EXACTLY what trucks were they offered in and was
there a difference between a 1.5 ton 420 and a 1/2ton 420?
3.)I know the 420 to be a Muncie. What exactly does this mean?
Muncie manufactured this tranny for GM?  Is that what the M in
sM420 means. If so, what does the S mean?  What is the Muncie
part number for this trans?
4.)the 420 seems to be popular with offroad applications. i think the
ratio was 7.05:1.  Is this correct?
5.)Where can I get parts list and detailed diagrams on this trans?
6.)my local trans shop quoted me $700-$800 to rebuild my 57 420.
I spoke with 2 obsolete trans parts suppliers and the parts I needed
came out to about the same as the trans shop quote. have ya'll
had similar prices quoted to rebuild your 420 4 speeds?

I think that about takes care of my immediate questions - lol.
I'd appreciate any and all data anyone can provide on this trans.
Thanks a lot ya'll.
Charles