RE: [oletrucks] Brakes -

To: "Old Truck List (E-mail)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Brakes -
From: "Jim Wilkerson" <Jim.Wilkerson@sas.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:26:24 -0500
I've just been through this process on my '53 Chevy 1/2 ton. I've installed a
10-bolt GM rear end and a Heidt's front IFS.  I went with stainless brake lines
and stainless fittings all the way around. However, even using the AN style
stainless fittings, there is need to be able to do both single and double
flares at 37 and 45 degrees respectively. Most typical master cylinders,
proportioning valves, residual valves and most standard rubber brake hoses
require a 45 degree double flare, while the stainless AN fittings require 37
degree single flares. So, many systems will have a combination of 45 and 37
degree flares. One can use stainless lines and all 45 degree fittings, but you
still need to be able to put double 45 degree flares on all lines. Speedway
sells a cheap 37 degree flaring tool that worked fine for my stainless lines.
Snap-on sells a very nice double flaring tool that includes a tubing cutter
with a special blade for stainless lines. Progressive Automotive in Ohio
(ask for Bob) can provide you with all of the fittings, lines, etc. for a
complete job.

Jim Wilkerson