[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #1879

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #1879
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:23:31 -0800
You don't have to use an aftermarket front cross member; the various
vendors sell original type front mounts, with new rubbers and all.  The
only difference would be, yours would be bolted on and the factory V-8's
would have been riveted.  If you really wanted to make it look original
(mine doesn't), you would need to move your radiator toward the cab a
few inches and find that metal thing that covers up the gap between the
front of the truck and the radiator.  My radiator is in the stock 6
cylinder location, but I have a fan clutch and stuff that moved the fan
to within about an inch of the radiator, so I'm OK with that.  (I should
point out that I didn't switch motors on my truck; the V8 was in it when
I bought it, and it was only 10 years later that I figured out it wasn't
stock.  It's actually out of some car '58 - 66, with a 327 4 barrel
intake and probably 327 heads.)

Too bad you can't keep the floor starter; I still don't understand why
not.  Is it because the V8 starter uses a cylinoid and the 6 doesn't?  I
have a hole in the floor board I need to plug one of these days....

Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside

Devin wrote:
okay guys, the engine is coming out of a 66 1/2 ton.  I'm getting it
complete
from air cleaner to oil pan, starter, manifolds etc.  It has the holes
is the
front for the front type mount, but my 6 bolts to the sides of the
block.
With the V8 being shorter, I have to assume the existing mounts can't
work.  I
do plan on using stock type mounts in the existing holes rather than an
aftermarket crossmember.  I can get the bellhousing out of the 66, but I
don't
know whether it has the mounts to work in my '57.