RE: [oletrucks] bad brakes

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] bad brakes
From: "Larry R. Kephart" <vpa@laroke.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:47:34 -0500
Make sure each wheel is adjusted and there aren't any leaks at the wheel
cylinders or elsewhere. I rebuilt my front wheels and afterwards, BillyBob
was harder to get stopped than ever before. Had a few close calls and was in
bad spirits over the situation. Discovered I didn't have the adjusters
snugged up enough and only the rear wheels were braking. Put the front end
up on jackstands and used a "helper" two-by-four the depress the brake
pedal. With the brakes on I could turn the front wheels and I'm not all that
strong! I adjusted each wheel until it was barely draging, then backed off
slightly. I'm finetuning by checking the heat in each wheel at the and of
short trips and adjusting a notch or two accordingly. I have my brakes back
and I'm happy again.

Larry Kephart
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
1991 Jeep Wrangler (Renegade)