[oletrucks] Got my truck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Got my truck
From: BLUCHEETAH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:34:38 EST
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to tell everyone that I have finally gotten my truck. Thanks to
all the trailering advice from everyone, the trip from Colorado to Victoria,
Texas was fairly uneventful, with the exception of a blown tire 7 miles into
the trip. The tire was rotten (as was another one) and it took me 15 hours to
get U-haul to get their butts in gear and get it fixed and back on the road.
They did refund me all but $100 of the hotel cost and rental fee, so on the
way home (bored) I calculated they paid me $24.00 plus some change for my
headaches and trouble. I'll take it!
Anyway, I'm the proud new owner of a 53 Chevrolet 1/2 ton with a 235 engine
in it. Has no rust anywhere except for a pencil eraser sized hole in the
bottom of the front right fender. Has a lot of little dents and creases which
I imagine I am going to pay out the nose to fix at the body shop, but I am
very pleased and happy with my purchase. Seeing that thing sitting outside
the house never fails to bring a big smile to my face!
The fuel filter isn't working (shooting gas out of the oil breather tube) and
I plan to either buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it or buy a new one with the
glass dome (like the current one) and replace it. Here are my instructions
per my dad:
Any suggestions or additions are gratefully welcomed! Feel free to laugh at
my non-mechanical terms :-)
Buy a rebuild kit (any suggestions?)
 Take TWO wrenches and hold them and loosen where it connects to the tubes
coming out of the engine on both sides so I don't twist the tubes. Take
off  the screws where it connects to the engine block.  Remove it from the
engine block and clean and scrape where it was on the engine block. Take the
fuel
pump apart paying attention to what direction of the old diaphragm is up.
 Clean the entire fuel pump with gas or even hot soapy water and dry it
well.
Put Vaseline on the edges where the diaphragm meets the fuel pump to make
sure it is sealed. Put it back together.
Get gasket seal (not the hardening kind) and put it on the fuel pump side and
the engine side and reattach it with the gasket. Reattach. THEN because there
is now gas in the oil, change the oil. Run it for about 10 or so miles and
change the oil again.
Thanks for all your help!
Susan