Re: [oletrucks] re: is it stock...

To: <mark@noakes.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] re: is it stock...
From: "Dingo" <Dingo@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:50:08 -0500
2 things....
  First, I remember my father-in-law (ret. from GM), telling of when his
neighbor ordered a new (1965) full size Chevy. He was told to keep an eye
out for it when it was to be built. Well, father-in-law say paper work, and
when car was built , line was slowed, many many extra spot welds were done,
sound deadener and sealer was used copiously....the whole thing was gone
over twice and then some. Neighbor said it was the best danged car he ever
owned.
  Second, I worked for a time at a Chevy dealership in the body shop. Boss's
son and son-in-law owned Cameras, 1 had a Z-28, the other a SS396. Driven
hard, the both of them!. If ANY engine problem came up, a new short block,
or complete engine was gotten, under warranty. No questions. Sometimes the
"used" engine was returned to GM in Flint, 20 miles away. Sometimes not.
When sewers were put in the town, those that remained were pushed in a big
hole by bulldozer. Along with the boss's son's ex drag car '51 Chevy. I
think I remember where the hole was too.........
  So there was "pull" at the factory, and at the dealership too. 1 off color
combos, engine/tranny combos, plus the "dealer-installed" items - the parts
that came in the trunk from the factory for the dealership to install. Those
were the good old days!!!

Ed in Mich
'57 3100