Re: [oletrucks] slightly off topic...A/C

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] slightly off topic...A/C
From: ke6bnl@juno.com
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 20:39:43 -0700
You are low on refrigerant more then likely.  It was not uncommon for the
ref. hoses to leak some, if it took 1 year or more and r12 was cheap it
was not an issue.  You will need to search out the leak,  first soap
bubbles and obvious oil around fittings, if that prove to be un
successful they do make a inexpensive propane leak detector that works
really well and the flame will go from orange red to green when a leak is
spotted.  You will the be able to probe in the evap drain hole( freon is
heaveier then air) and the back of the compressor pulley for a seal in
the comp.  also around the condensor up front.  Your unit is most likely
going off on the low pressure  switch which is doing what it is designed
to do.   Was the system evacuated b4 recharging???  It should hve been so
you do not introduce moisture.  A new drive/accumulater is a good
practice to change out also.  It will catch debree and some mositure
Good luck Ed ke6bnl   So. Calif.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:53:54 -0700 (PDT) mark@noakes.com writes:
> I just did a conversion kit on my A/C for my 86 Chevy truck from R12
> to R134.  Yes, I
> understand that the cooling efficiency will be lower after this
> conversion, but I have
> problems that go beyond this.
>
> The pressure on the R12 had leaked down to nothing over the
> years...literally no
> pressure...so I was wondering when I did this if I would end up with
> a major leak.
>
> After conversion, the system pressure seems to hold up fine...I'm
> still expecting a slow
> leak but we'll see on that; however, the compressor now cycles every
> few
> seconds...faster/more often than it should, and the vents now put
> out only slightly cool
> air...and maybe even that is my imagination.  The evaporator and
> lines, that used to get
> wet with condensation because they were so cold before now don't
> even feel cold, so I'm
> sure that it's not working correctly yet.
>
> Any suggestions as to what might be wrong or what else might need to
> be replaced?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Noakes
> 58/56 Chevy Suburban
> 58 GMC NAPCO wideside 1/2 ton pickup
> 66 Corvair Monza
> 86 Chevy Silverado pickup
> 86 Corvette Indy convertible
> Knoxville, TN
> 1959

   Ed     ke6bnl@juno.com                     ( 1950 f1 & 1963econo pu

      Agua Dulce Ca.    91390                    70 chevy S/B)  1948 Ford
F3
      So.   Calif. 70 mil N.Eof Los Angeles   1953 Chevy pu 3100)

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!