Re: [oletrucks] Big Trucks

To: "OleTrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Big Trucks
From: "John Melon" <john@flyingmelons.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:12:42 -0600
' thought I'd take a few minutes to type while I have the carb apart in the
dishwasher (liquid soap - no granules). The progress on my dump truck can
best be described as "tinkering", but it's _my_ quiet time as I can get it.

I installed a new carrier bearing last week - after the old one
disintegrated half-way down my block. The replacement piece from the Medium
Duty Chevrolet Dealer in Denver bears no resemblance to the original and
held the shaft almost 1/4" higher than the original. Luckily there was
plenty of thread on the mounting bolts and I was able to shim it back down
to tolerance.

When I got the truck, the dump-pump was disconnected from the PTO shaft and
hanging by the hydraulic hoses. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how
it was supposed to mount to what-was-left of the bracket. After thoroughly
scrubbing the inch of crud and cleaning everything, I was able to figure the
original mounting configuration and the bracket is now rewelded and ready
for paint before reassembly. ' should easily last another 50 years with the
added gussets that should've been there in the 1st place.

I was able to repair the secondary portion of the hood latch but still need
a small round (clock-type) spring to get the primary latch back in order to
be able to do away with the bungee.

Regards,

John Melon
1958 4400