Re: [oletrucks] Off Topic - Zero Compression

To: "trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off Topic - Zero Compression
From: "Ryan Langford" <rlangford@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 00:57:45 -0700
> I have a Triumph Spitfire, it started to run like crap and quit, and will not
> start.  I suspected valve problems, since I have had valve problems in the
> past, including a valve the broke and dropped into the engine resulting in a
> rebuild about 5-10,000 miles ago.
>
> Popped the valve cover and no broken rockers, all valves moving up and down,
> all valves fully closing so that the rocker was loose.  There was no coolant
> loss suggesting a bad head gasket.  Did a compression test, and #3 cylinder
> had zero compression, put some oil in the cylinder, still zero.
>
> Suspected a burnt valve - pulled the head, all the valves look fine, lapped
> them in all seemed to seal, all are moving freely in their guides.
>
> The are no obvious signs of piston problems, cylinders aren't marked.
>
> Head gasket seemed fine.

Well, I'd suggest re-checking your data.  You've illiminated everything
with that check list....so obviously something was overlooked/misjudged.
Its easy to get stuck in these type of circles....

If all the valves are opening and closing....is #3 being held open all the
time?
(I'm not overly familiar with the details of Truimph's valve train...adjustable
rockers?)

Hole in the piston?  ;)  You didn't mention that one.....

Only thing that comes to mind that you didn't list....don't see how cam timing
could jump for a center cylinder, no matter how the valve train is set up.....
so I won't suggest checking that....

Ryan
rlangford@attbi.com