Re: [oletrucks] Timing Problem!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Timing Problem!
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:33:10 -0500
Lets start with the basics.

1.  Set the engine up so that the No. 1 piston is at top dead center,
the valves on No. 1 are closed, and the timing mark is at 0 degrees.
Can't make all this happen at the same time?  Your valve timing
is off ( the camshaft isn't in sync with the crank shaft.)  Take
the timing chain or gear coupling off and make sure the match marks
can line up.  I believe they should at this point.  If not, make
them do this.

2.  This is your most likely problem.  Reset the No. 1 cylinder at
TDC with the valves closed.  Note which way the distributor rotates.
Make sure that the firing order of the wires is right for this
direction rotation.  If the wires were set on backwards, two cylinders
will fire right and two will fire wrong.  The engine will run but
badly.  There used to be an old Army trick of reversing two plug
wires when you parked your jeep to keep someone from running off
with it.  Same thing.

3.  Set the distributor so that the distributor rotor is now pointing
the right way.  This is done by pulling it out and putting it back
in pointing the right way.  Set the cap on and adjust the distributor
so the rotor now points at the No. 1 wire.  At this point, the points
should also be closed.  Make sure the points spring hasn't weakened
from heat.

4.  Make sure that the points don't get full 12 volts.  You should
have either a 6 volt power source or a ballast resistor between the
power supply and the points.  Adjust the points to the right gap.

At this point the timing should be close enough to correct that the
engine will run.  If it does, you can now do a better job of adjusting
the timing.  If it doesn't, start looking at the fuel system.  If
the engine gets fuel, compression and spark at the same time, it
has to run.

Bruce K
57 3200
51 Ford 8N tractor (flathead 4)
Mt. Iron, MN

At Sunday, 11 May 2003, you wrote:

>> I am a home garage semi-mechanic who has inherited a problem.
I recently
>> acquired a 51 Willys Wagon that was in the stages of restoration.
The