Re: [oletrucks] Timing Problem!

To: "trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Timing Problem!
From: "Ryan Langford" <rlangford@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:55:58 -0700
> I am a home garage semi-mechanic who has inherited a problem.  I recently
> acquired a 51 Willys Wagon that was in the stages of restoration.  The engine
> was rebuilt and assembled but not running.  I hooked up the carb and spark
> and am having a devil of a time with the timing.  The firing order on the
> F-134 4 cylinder is 1/3/4/2.  With the 5 degree BTDC mark indexed in the
> timing hole, the rotor should point at 4 o'clock and the number 1 plug.
> Trouble is, it won't run that way.  If I move the plugs back (clockwise), so
> that the number one plug is at 7 o'clock and the 3 is at 4 o'clock and so on,
> it starts and runs but has no power and seems to stall or lean out when power
> is applied.

This kinda situation, I would just start rotating the wires til you get a
sitaution
that it runs and you can dial the distributor to the point that you get the TDC
mark showing on the flywheel.  Yah, the manual says you got it right, but till
you get it running, you can't figure out what the deal is.   This is assuming
you
have enough adjustment on the dist. to do it....I know the 55' I have doesn't
have
much rotation before the stops.....

Ryan
rlangford@attbi.com