[oletrucks] Charging problem.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Charging problem.
From: Alan Quin <alanquin@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 08:59:15 -0700
Good morning fellow list members. Have any of you a suggestion of what to check
here? I' ve posted a few questions before and sure appreciate your info. My 52
GMC half ton runs a 350 W/ power glide 12 volt Neg ground  new [now] rebuilt
Delcotron Alt. and new Regulator . Basically a Mid 60's set up. Last summer my
old alternator seemed to be over charging the 12 volt battery {we tested it at
14 to 16 volt at battery. My truck is stored in winter, so this spring I tested
the old alt. It showed no charge so in went the new one and new regulator.

Now the truck starts fine, but the ammeter on dash (stock) shows discharge on
idle and hardly goes above center when engine revs are up.  As well it shows
discharge with lights on.  My wiring is the same as it has been all along.  I'm
at a loss to see what to test and where.

I'm still trusting the same battery which was over charged last year, but seems
to hold a charge.  I just want to see my gauge read centre to  charge on the
dash.

Any thoughts?  Thank you.