Re: [oletrucks] kids, rocks, trucks

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] kids, rocks, trucks
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:37:35 -0500
In Minnesota if you put up too substantial a mounting for your mail
box and it gets hit and someone gets hurt you are liable, so I went
the opposite way.

I planted a treated 4 x 4 in the ground and hung an L shaped piece
of 1" pipe off of it with eyebolts.  The 4 x 4 has some holes drilled
in it at ground level to weaken it some, just like the wooden posts
the highway department uses.

The pipe is ground special on the bottom so that it sort of engages
a lag screw that is set into the 4 x 4.  Net result. the pipe is
able to swing to either side if the snowplow or a kid's bat hits
the box.

The box is hung from the pipe with two short lengths of chain giving
it a little more flexibility.

The box itself is one of those Rubbermaid polyethylene ones.  Black,
ugly, but near indestructible.  The biggest problem is getting address
numbers to stick on it.

The arrangement has been up for ten years now and at least three
times has been the only one on the road not damaged.  One time, someone
with a big 4WD pickup took to running over mailboxes on our road
to test their new brush guard.  You could see the skid marks on the
driveway where they apparently had second thoughts when they saw
the 4 x 4 sticking out of the ground.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Sunday, 08 June 2003, you wrote:

>We put a real nice hand painted mail box up when we moved out to the
>country, not even thinking about the country baseball. well we have
a hand
>made steel mail box that weights about 75 lbs now. I feel sorry
for the
>first little $%#@ that hits it. it hangs from a stand made of 6x6's.
>steve 55 gmc
>
>it wasn't his sense of humor Bob -- he had to hury and get off the
phone so
>that he could call his kid and warn him to stop hittin your mailbox
with
>that bat  :-)
>
>Bob KNOTTS <raknotts@qwest.net> wrote:I had a similar problem with my
>mailbox here in NW PHX. I've lived here 20
>years, and am on my 4th mailbox. I called the Post Office once,
and their
>response was"What do you expect us to do abt it". I said "If you
can't do
>anything abt them (teenagers on bikes with baseball bats), can I
use them
>for target practice with my 45 gov model pistol?" They hung up.
No sense of