Phil... Re: [oletrucks] Rear Window Frame

To: Phil Maurey <sz6vgh2@comcast.net>, dpewter@email.msn.com,
Subject: Phil... Re: [oletrucks] Rear Window Frame
From: Devin Ranger <devin_ranger@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:25:54 -0700 (PDT)
Howdy Phil,

You have an Art Deco, right?

As Doug stated, the sheetmetal is repairable.  You may
make repairs using a welder (or bonding agent, so I've
heard).

If you can find a nice cab that is within your means,
I believe that may be the most worthwhile fix.

You could also try to find a -donor- cab.  Cabs often
rot in similar spots.  Interesting thing is that some
"bad" cabs have some really useful sheetmetal that
hasn't rotted.  Case in point: my '57 had rot in three
of the four cab corners.  It had -really bad- rot in
the front two (disintegrated), swiss cheese in the
left rear (driver) inside and outside panels, but a
solid passenger side corner with no rot at all -NONE-.
 The door hinge area of the cab had already been
repaired once (apparent by the welds) but were again
shot.  And the front windshield pillars were coming
apart.  But again, in all of this, the cab brow is
solid (common rust spot), the floor adjacent the
firewall is solid (another popular place for rust),
and the roof and rear window had no flakey rust.  I
wrote off the cab as one that I would rebuild but
instead used a reciprocating saw to section it for
usable pieces (good donors).

Contact Brian Davis (sixtyninebri@yahoo.com).  I KNOW
that he had a decent Art Deco cab of which he had
spoken of selling.  I saw the cab; it wasn't perfect,
but it might work for you.  Or he may be able to give
you some leads.

There is also Whitney
(http://haist-usa.com/artdecotrucks/) and Brad
(http://home.ix.netcom.com/~dir-cont/).

BTW, did you move your homepage?  If so, may I have
the new link?

Good luck,

Drew

--- Phil Maurey <sz6vgh2@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have removed the back window and I have a lot of
> rust around the frame.  A couple of places have rust
> through.  The cab around the frame is very solid.
>
> It looks like the windshield is the same way.  Is
> this repairable or should I be shopping for a new
> cab?
>
> Thank you
> Phil Maurey
> 1941 Chevy 1/2 Ton
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

=====
Drew
**New 1947-'55 ONLY Forum: http://53truck.ez15loan.com/forums/