Re: [oletrucks] Ammeter question - now a horn question.

To: "Parkinson, Rob" <Rob_Parkinson@jdedwards.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Ammeter question - now a horn question.
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:05:35 -0500
Rob, you really need to buy a shop manual! All this stuff is in it, IF you
look and read it. An Assembly Manual is nice for drawings of how it goes
together too.
  First, the wire in column goes up to the top bearing in mast. If you look
at it, you'll notice it's brassy color and smooth around col diameter. The
wheel has a soldered wire with a spring on it, and a graphite or ? item on
lower end that rides around on that brassy color strip when you turn wheel.
It slips in a hole in steering wheel and touches the flat metal plate under
horn button. There is a spring in there too, to hold the button up. When you
press button, it shorts on steering shaft or column or somewhere and a
circuit is made thru the slider on wire to mast bearing, to wire, out to
relay. Many times the wires get cut where they go out the side of column
under dash to wireing or some go out steering box shaft at bottom of column.
You can buy new ones of these from vendors. Venders are listed at
www.stovebolt.com site and there is a Forum there also. Get some manuals!
About $25 most places. Fun to read also.

G. L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750
AD trucks and MM tractors