Re: [oletrucks] Another strange offering from GMC

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Another strange offering from GMC
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 06:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
It was in Vintage Truck.

I used to have a Corvair van and a 61 station wagon and still have my 66
Corvair Monza
car.  My brother has had several of the Corvair pickup trucks...usually with
nicknames
like Pokey or Gumby.  The market segment that GM was trying to address was
those who
were defecting away from American cars to the VW bug and bus.  You're right
that that
engine didn't have much useful power as a serious truck, but the cars got well
into the
upper 20s gas mileage wise.  I would like to have one of the Greenbriar camper
vans...but they are
about as rare as the Pontiac equivalent of the Cameo.

The engine could be built up to about 225hp...turbo or naturally
aspirated...pretty
easily...and up to 350hp with difficulty...either is pretty good on a car that
weighs in
around 2300 lbs.  My brother's 65 Corsa (which he also still has) used to beat
his
friend's 351 Mustang regularly.  Then there's the mid-engine V8 conversions...

I still have a soft spot in my heart...er, head...for the Corvair cars.  I
actually like
the way they handle; very fast if driven right.  The technique is the same as
driving a
Porsche 911 correctly...most Americans aren't tuned for that.  My only
complaint was the
heater.

Mark Noakes