[oletrucks] horn relay - design function? bad to not use it testing(

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] horn relay - design function? bad to not use it testing(
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:30:00 EDT
   Ok, even though I'm an electronic repair tech, even I don't know what
everything does! :)  I'm not sure what the function of the little relay is, I
know
horns will blow with straight voltage, so my question's are :

- what does it really do?
- will it hurt the horn to be tested with straight voltage briefly?
- will some horns NOT work without a horn relay?

 I need to test 30+ old horns I got at an auction, some VERY old, so I don't
want to risk burning them up by being ignorant, so someone educate me fast!
LOL. Then again, I'm a procrasinator, and they've been sitting since the
auction
3 weeks ago. I did try one, it honked, and blew dust or something out the
horn. Then I thought , Hmm, maybe that was a 6-volt horn, I shouldn't do this
with a modern battery yet. It DID sound rather fast. I just touched it briefly
the battery terminals. Anyway, I do have a variable power supply, so I can go
from 0-24 volts with 9 amps of power. Just want to get my theory straight so
I won't mess up my collection. I'll probably wind up painting them and hanging
them in my "auto display" room, or on a hallway wall ( I already stated to
the wife when I moved into the house that THAT was my car display areas, and I
could do what I wanted, as she got other areas...so not problem THERE! LOL )
   Well, any help appreciated from any electrical or educated persons with
knowledge.