Re: [oletrucks] starter

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] starter
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:05:18 -0500
The truck starters for manual transmissions had foot pedal switches.
Trucks with autos and, I think, cars, had solenoid starters.  I
believe the ring gears are different.

BTW, this is a 12 volt starter and probably won't work well on 6
volts.  I'm assuming the truck has been converted to 12 volts.

If the starter clunks, you may have a wiring problem, like a corroded
battery cable.  I would start by measuring voltage between the battery
cable terminal at the starter and somewhere on the block.  You should
have 12 volts or more with the engine off.  When you try to start
the truck, the voltage shouldn't drop below 8 or 9 volts.  If it
does, check the positive and ground connections and check the cables.
You could also have a weak battery.

If the voltage stays up, you have a problem in the starter or the
solenoid, or a bad battery ground cable.

Hope this helps.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN