[oletrucks] NOW: Keeping Those Trucks Running... WAS: For you fellow

To: Bill Broadway <bcubed@vanhalen-irc.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] NOW: Keeping Those Trucks Running... WAS: For you fellow
From: Devin Ranger <devin_ranger@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:05:03 -0700 (PDT)
Bill,

Right.  No point in sacking someone because of their
taste in trucks (Although, I imagine that Robert was
saying that in jest).  Rebuilding an old truck in
-any- fashion beats buying a new one, right?! ;)

Hey, for anybody who hasn't already seen Bill's web
site, go take a look at how far he went to bring his
truck's body back to life.

http://vanhalen-irc.com/pro55/

Bill went a lot further than most I know would have
cared to venture on a Chevrolet of this vintage.  Had
it not been for Bill's resolve this truck might have
gone to the crusher.

My personal attitude is that people involved in the
reconstruction of old vehicles, be it restoration or
customization, are doing themselves and their
communities a great service.

Think of the natural resources required to construct a
new vehicle.  Then think recycling in terms of
reconstruction.

Look at the Cubans.  Because they have had few
alternatives, Cuba has kept many, many old vehicles
alive through good maintenance practices and
ingenuity.  Here are a couple of entertaining
articles.  There are MANY more articles out there:

http://www.dtcuba.com/eng/buscar_reportajes.asp?cod=42
http://www.lotuspub.com/TRAVEL/cuba.html
http://www.lotuspub.com/TRAVEL/cuba2.html

Drew