Re: [oletrucks] Choke problem?

To: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Choke problem?
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:46:15 -0400
Gary
It appears that the fuel circuits are clogged or partially blocked. If it
was the main jet it just would not run at any speed. It may be clogged fuel
filters and therefore not getting the proper amount of fuel to fill the
bowl to run at the speed your running. But check it all out starting with
the squirters from the accelerator pump then check the fuel flow from the
carb by disconnecting the fuel line and attaching a hose to the end and run
it into a container, start it up and let it idle. Time how long it takes to
run out of fuel and measure the amount in the container. Anyone out there
know how much fuel these pumps pump per min/hour? I would think it should
pump more than a qt. less than a gal. per minute. If you think there is
enough fuel coming out of the hose then the circuits are clogged and you
need to remove the carb top. To really clean out the fuel passages you will
need to remove the carb and run a thin wire thru all the passages. You
might need a carb rebuilding kit. Don't be afraid of these things. They are
pretty simple. Carb kits usually include everything you need except maybe a
carb base gasket,  they also do not include jets. If all the fuel related
items check out believe it or not it might be the coil, points, condensor,
cap or rotor. The coil sometimes acts up for some reason when you put a
load on the engine. Usually after it gets warmed up. These things are real
simple but its always the simple things that drive you nuts looking for
them.
Roger Gleason
51-3100 AD Huckster

                      "Gary Perry"

                      <glperry@fwi.com>        To:
<Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu>
                                               cc:
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
                      07/18/03 09:31 AM        Subject:  Re: [oletrucks] Choke
problem?

Rog, this is not just a problem when accelerating. It's when cruising,
around 45-50. Wouldn't think the acc. pump would be involved at all. Am I
wrong on that? It just seems to not be rich enough or ? I'm thinking maybe
the choke plate goes past open and starts to close again if that can
happen?
I'll have to pull cleaner and look at it's operation. I do have two filters
at carb, and used to have to change often, cause of rust from when I
cleaned
tank still flowing. I wonder if they are problem or rust again from setting
mostly unused for two years. I had to change much less in recent times as
rust was settling or gone, maybe setting has caused more problem again. I
did start and run or move truck during it's downtime, winter or summer. I
changed filters and put in fresh gas this spring though. Maybe I need to
run
a few cleaners in it for a tank full or two.

> Gary
> The accelerator pump is not working right. It probably needs to be
> replaced. Look in side the carb and work the throttle from idle to full
> open. You should see a steady stream of fuel come out of the squirters.
If