RE: [oletrucks] brakes

To: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] brakes
From: "Thomas, Robert" <RThomas@ButteCounty.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:01:51 -0700
I think there needs to be a combination of things to "remedy" this
because there most likely are a combination of causes.  I would suspect
that the center of the drum has rusted to the axle & the brake pads have
glued themselves to the drum.  What I am suggesting below will probably
trash the drum, but I would recommend not only a new drum, but new
hardware, anyway.

First, check & see that a prior owner did not put one of those spring
clips over one of the wheel studs do hold the drum on.  Those little
clips often get lost in the rust.

The local FLAPS should have a brake drum puller to rent.  That should be
set up & ready to go.  I would then GENTLY apply heat to the center of
the brake drum around the axle - then quickly apply the puller & crank
it down.  I would expect little, but maybe no, movement.

Then I'd heat the outside of the drum all around, concentrating on the
location of the pads.  Heat it until it glows.  Quickly apply the puller
& crank it down.

ANY TIME A BRAKE DRUM PULLER IS USED, DO NOT STAND IN FRONT OF IT.
Stand off to one side.  When the brake drum lets go, it will do so
loudly and with a lot of force, shooting it many feet across the
garage/drive/etc.

Oh, & whacking the drum top & bottom with a 2# sledge is often of great
assistance.

Good luck,

Robert