RE: [oletrucks] Norwich Ct Car Show....( Karens 53 1/2 PickUp )

To: Duff Karen ES-19 103 FW/EM <Karen.Duff@ctbrad.ang.af.mil>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Norwich Ct Car Show....( Karens 53 1/2 PickUp )
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:13:38 -0400
Huckster by dictionary definition means "Hawker, Peddler", " to deal in or
bargain over", Haggle.
But to old truckers/ farmers, it means something else. As the story goes
farmers used to try to save money by buying a truck without the bed so they
could build one of their own design to use to sell their produce at the
market or roadside. Some elaborate designs came out, but basically its a
wood bed with wood sides that they fastened the metal fenders to. Some had
canopy tops and on the side board there were shelves that they stored the
boxes of fruits and veggies. The tailgate if they had one also served to
display fruit or provide a place to sit while waiting for customers. When I
was quite young (I'm 56 now) I remember my uncle had one that he used to
park by the roadside during the summer and fall to sell his produce. Times
have changed but those memories are very vivid in my mind. Things were much
simpler then but I bet there are still some old timers out there still
doing that. Anyone seen one lately? Is the truck old or new? I've been down
the road where uncle used to sell his stuff, and the big tree is still
there but the road has been widened and the bald spot by the field is gone.
The old swimming hole is swamp now and overgrown. Boy what memories. If you
find one stop by and support him. Stop and listen these guys and gals as
they have some storied to tell. Take a minute to regress back in time to a
simpler time and enjoy the day.
You all have a nice day and thanks for bringing back the memories.

Roger Gleason
51AD 3100 Huckster!

                      Duff Karen ES-19

                      103 FW/EM                  To:
"'Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu'" <Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu>
                      <Karen.Duff@ctbrad.        cc:

                      ang.af.mil>                Subject:  RE: [oletrucks]
Norwich Ct Car Show....( Karens 53
                                                  1/2 PickUp )

                      07/22/03 09:13 AM

hey,now there's three of us in the area...since I'm new I'll ask...what is
Huckster?

I live in Bozrah, not sure where Joe lives...

Are you going to the Preston car show..August 10th...been rescheduled a
bunch of times due to rain...?