[oletrucks] Oil capacity/usage

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Oil capacity/usage
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:23:58 -0500
My 57 GMC truck came from the factory with a Pontiac 347" V8.  Being a daily
driver, I have made certain reliability/safety upgrades such as HEI and disk
brakes.  To make it easier to change the oil (and find filters) I pulled the
filter mount from a '77 Pontiac 400 and used it to mount a spin-on PF-25 oil
filter in place of the original cartridge type filter.  The spin on is
considerably smaller that the can.

I continue to put 6 quarts of oil into my engine when changing oil & filter.  I
have noticed that the engine seems to go about 1/2 to 3/4 quart low within a
week or so after changing the oil.  If I top it off it does it again.  If I
don't top it off it seems to settle in and use no more.  The oil pan seems to
have oil on the outside, but I cant tell exactly where it is coming from.
Seems to be the front of the engine, but I put a new front crank seal on last
Thanksgiving.  Didn't change the oil use.

Dummy that I am, I put a chrome dipstick/dipstick tube on the beast a couple of
years ago.  The level was not properly marked for my engine, so the next time I
changed the oil I put in 4 quarts (one quart low if not changing the filter),
waited for the new oil to drain into the pan, stabbed the dipstick and used a
file to mark "low" on the dipstick.  I then added a quart, marked "full" the
same way and finished up by adding another quart for the filter.

I'm wondering if using 6 quarts in the machine is too much and is causing
seepage which eventually ends up dripping off my engine.  I know that the late
model filter is no where near a quart big.

One other gotcha.  When I had the pan off last year I noticed that the baffle
that normally mounts in the crankcase was missing.  Could this have anything to
do with my oil consumption problem?