Re: [oletrucks] Oil capacity/usage

To: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Oil capacity/usage
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:05:12 -0700
It sounds like your engine is telling you something. I'd go with 5 quarts
when you change the filter. Check your level. Then try adding 1/2 quart.
Check the oil level. Run it for a few days, and check the oil level again. I
can remember owners manuals warning that overfilling the oil will cause the
oil to "Froth"(add air bubbles), and not properly lubricate the engine. You
could cheat-email, call, or write the filter manufacture and ask what the
capacity of their filter is! Or you could go to the library, and check in
their reference section for the 77 Pontiac 400, and see how much oil you add
when you change the oil and filter VS when you only change the oil. AN
IMPORTANT NOTE!!! Don't EVER try to use Fram oil filters after they have sat
in your garage over 2-3 years, including 117-120 degree summers. They will
split, and GUSH nice clean oil ALL OVER your garage floor, driveway,
whatever. How do I know? Don't ask. Bob K, the Scotsman (El Cheapo)