Re: [oletrucks] turn signal wiring

To: "Larry Burnett" <laburnett@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] turn signal wiring
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:36:15 -0700
I wouldn't sweat the open fuse block.  And adapting one from another vehicle
is going to be a big project.  Best bet to clean up the entire electrical
system is probably to buy a wiring kit and redo the whole thing.  I've never
done it that way, but I have bought wire and connectors and done it all from
scratch.  Its a big project.

It is unlikely your truck has the wiring required to support turnsignals, so
you are going to need to run some wire.  I'd suggest you buy that 7 wire
switch, then get spools of wire with the proper colors for each light, and
run the wire.  Getting the colors to match the switch will make the job
easier, and trouble-shooting easier, but the color has nothing to do with
the electrical properties of the wire.

If you've not run wire before its not difficult, but you do need to keep the
wire away from hot things, like the exhaust, and away from sharp edges, and
moving parts that might damage the insulation.

The actual placement of the flasher is not critical, it just needs to be
secure and somewhere its not in the way.  In my AD truck its held on top the
steering column by a couple of wire ties.

Get the flasher your turn-signal switch recommends.  They are not all the
same, and it does matter.