Re: [oletrucks] Fan Advice

To: Ole Truck Forum <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fan Advice
From: Jim Nordwall <jimnordwall@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
When I built my truck, I had to install an electric
fan.  With the Firebird front clip and the stock truck
radiator support, mounting a fan on the water pump
pulley was out of the question. I went scrounging and
found an electric fan that fit my radiator fairly
well. The fan is controlled by a switch in the dash.
The only time I run it is when I have to sit for a
train or a traffic light. When electric fans first
starting being used in Detroit Iron, I read that the
only time you really need a fan is when sitting still.
If you're moving, the radiator will get enough air to
cool it. The fan just robs horsepower at anything over
25mph. The last several cars I have purchased new have
been Chryslers and they have all had electric fans.

--- Bill Griffin <Bill_Griffin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Detroit has spent tons of money and research getting
> the best fuel economy
> possible to meet the ever tightening CAFE
> requirements.
>
> The shrouded, clutched, thermostatically controlled
> fan (OEM) provides the
> best cooling without the parasitic loss of a
> continuously turning fan.
>
> Most electric fans cannot move anywhere near as much
> air as the OEM - plus it
> transfers the load to your electrical system.
>
> Bottom line - If there was a cheaper, more effective
> way to keep engines
> cooler - you would see it on production vehicles.
>
> Happy trails,
> Bill
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

=====
Jim Nordwall

 http://bluetruck.home.mchsi.com