Re: [oletrucks] Re: Old gas

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Old gas
From: ke6bnl@juno.com
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:20:35 -0700
I think the best thing to do is get all the gas out and be gone with it,
it will get dark in color in smell bad, on the other hand you could fill
it to the top and add gas additive that will prevent condensation that
leads to rust in the tank.  I picked up a FREEBEE 63 econoline that had
sat for some 12 years, beside all the stuff we did b4 starting the engine
we changed the filter(big one on the fuel pump) purged the lines to get
rid of any solid or coagulated material, drained as much gas as
possible(had a bottom spicket) put new gas in and it ran fine, many other
things had problems but the gas issue was resolved.  The fuel pump only
went for another few week and gave out.  Good luck the carb was fine
which was a big surprise to me, I have had motorcycle one go bad in a lot
less time.

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:42:50 -0700 "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
writes:
> Gas does go "bad" after awhile. I've had to have the carb on my
> lawnmower
> rebuilt twice after gas has sat in it over the winter (yes, I AM a
> slow
> learner!!).  So if you're not going to run it for several months, I
> don't
> think I'd want to drain it and put more gas in now. And you're
> probably
> going to at least have to rebuild your existing carb. I don't know
> just how
> long the additives work. I now run my lawn mower  until it's dry
> before
> putting it away for the winter. But I do use the additives at the
> start of
> summer.  I have an old Dodge (84) that I'm getting ready to get back
> into
> operation after it's sat for over two years. I don't look forward
> draining out the gas and cleaning out all the gas lines. I had the
> carb
> "professionally rebuilt". That's why it hasn't ran for so long. For
> years I
> just dismantled carbs, cleaned all the components, and put them
> back
> together. The last one, abt 9 years ago, I decided to adjust the way
> the
> instructions called for. Wouldn't run. Tried too hard, I guess. Bob
> K in
> PHX, AZ.

   Ed     ke6bnl@juno.com                     ( 1950 f1 & 1963econo pu

      Agua Dulce Ca.    91390                    70 chevy S/B)  1948 Ford
F3
      So.   Calif. 70 mil N.Eof Los Angeles   1953 Chevy pu 3100)