Re: [oletrucks] Would like opinions on rear suspensions

To: the_hams@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Would like opinions on rear suspensions
From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 03:27:20 +0000
Carl
You get your truck running only to tear it apart again? Nice pics in Classic
Trucks mag. I like that smoooth dash.
Mines not running, I don't even have a rolling chassis. But this is what
I've done. Fatman MustII IFS, w/GM rotors 5x4.75 lug pattern. I found a disc
brake rear end from a 86 Trans Am, the 3.26 gears should be better for
cruising. I am using all of the stock shock mounts & ubolts. You of course
will lose those 6 lug wheels. At Fatmans suggestion I have removed the 2
overload springs leaving me with the top 4 spring, this should level the
truck with the front end and provide a better ride. Time will tell. I have
c-notched the frame just in case i decide to go lower by flipping the
rearend or go to a 4bar setup.
Questions for you. What year is that 200 R4 trans and what did you have to
do to make it work? How do you like it?
Kurt
58 Apache project
59 Panel 4sale

>From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
>To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
>Subject: [oletrucks] Would like opinions on rear suspensions
>Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:41:35 -0500
>
>List Members:
>I have a '56 1/2 ton pickup with stock front and rear suspension.
>Everything is working fine, but I'd like to upgrade to an IFS and newer
>rear axle.  I've already decided on an IFS but I haven't selected a rear
>axle yet.  My truck is a fair weather driver and not a hot rod.
>
>My question is this.  I'd like the vehicle to handle and ride much better
>than today.  I've done some research into 4-link rear suspensions and
>replacement rear springs for lowered and smoother ride.  I don't want air
>springs, and I may just decide to leave the original 6-leaf springs in
>place and install the newer axle.  I'd like to hear opinions or experiences
>others have had with changing or leaving the rear suspension alone.
>
>Reply off-list if you'd like to the_hams@hotmail.com
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Carl Ham
>'56 Chevy TF Stepside
>Pontiac, IL

>Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now
>FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month
(depending on the local service providers in your area).
https://broadband.msn.com