[oletrucks] Re: Follow-up on 2004R Trans swap

To: kjohlgren@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Follow-up on 2004R Trans swap
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:50:06 -0500
Kurt:
I wrote a technical article on my 2004R tranny swap.  It is in the
ChevyTrucks.org website under technical articles, 3 speed to 4 speed auto
trans swap.  If you have any questions after reading it let me know and I'll
do my best to answer.

By the way, I now have over 3500 miles since the swap and the more I drive
it the more I like it.  checked my mileage several times this summer and I'm
getting 15-16 MPG (although I did some engine work last year that may have
helped bring it up from 11 MPG I had last year).

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL

>From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
>To: the_hams@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Would like opinions on rear suspensions
>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 03:27:20 +0000
>
>Carl
>You get your truck running only to tear it apart again? Nice pics in
>Classic Trucks mag. I like that smoooth dash.
>Mines not running, I don't even have a rolling chassis. But this is what
>I've done. Fatman MustII IFS, w/GM rotors 5x4.75 lug pattern. I found a
>disc brake rear end from a 86 Trans Am, the 3.26 gears should be better for
>cruising. I am using all of the stock shock mounts & ubolts. You of course
>will lose those 6 lug wheels. At Fatmans suggestion I have removed the 2
>overload springs leaving me with the top 4 spring, this should level the
>truck with the front end and provide a better ride. Time will tell. I have
>c-notched the frame just in case i decide to go lower by flipping the
>rearend or go to a 4bar setup.
>Questions for you. What year is that 200 R4 trans and what did you have to
>do to make it work? How do you like it?
>Kurt
>58 Apache project
>59 Panel 4sale
>

>>From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
>>To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
>>Subject: [oletrucks] Would like opinions on rear suspensions
>>Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:41:35 -0500
>>
>>List Members:
>>I have a '56 1/2 ton pickup with stock front and rear suspension.
>>Everything is working fine, but I'd like to upgrade to an IFS and newer
>>rear axle.  I've already decided on an IFS but I haven't selected a rear
>>axle yet.  My truck is a fair weather driver and not a hot rod.
>>
>>My question is this.  I'd like the vehicle to handle and ride much better
>>than today.  I've done some research into 4-link rear suspensions and
>>replacement rear springs for lowered and smoother ride.  I don't want air
>>springs, and I may just decide to leave the original 6-leaf springs in
>>place and install the newer axle.  I'd like to hear opinions or
>>experiences others have had with changing or leaving the rear suspension
>>alone.
>>
>>Reply off-list if you'd like to the_hams@hotmail.com
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Carl Ham
>>'56 Chevy TF Stepside
>>Pontiac, IL

>>Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now
>>FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com
>>oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments.  Get Hotmail
Extra Storage!   http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es