Re: [oletrucks] T-stat, cooling system general info...

To: "wayne osborne" <wayne@chevytrucks.org>, bigfred@unm.edu,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] T-stat, cooling system general info...
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:43:20 -0700
My Dad was a great Chevy shade tree mechanic. I helped him completely
rebuild a 37 Chevy which had gone thru the Vanport (Portland OR area) flood
in 1948. He would take a suspect thermostat,and a thermometer, and suspend
them in a pan of water on  pieces of wire. The thermostat, if working
properly, would start to gradually open. It would, if memory serves me, be
100% open when it hit it's rated temp. When you check the radiator for water
movement, you can put pieces of cardboard in front of the radiator to reduce
the airflow, and help it reach operating temperature faster.  But don't
leave it unattended!!  Bob K in PHX