RE: [oletrucks] Thermostat for 55 Series 1

To: "Al Davis" <adavis5671@kc.rr.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Thermostat for 55 Series 1
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:35:19 -0500
Today's will work, just find one that is the same diameter and make sure you
install it in the right direction.

I recently replaced the thermostat in my 57 GMC V8 with a "fails open"
thermostat.  When (not IF - most thermostats fail closed, overheating your
engine) it senses a serious overtemp it activates a second mechanism which
allows water flow and locks in the open position forever.  Net is that once it
fails it is like running no thermostat, but at least it doesn't allow the
engine to overheat and blow out all its coolant.