Re: [oletrucks] Where is everyone?

To: raknotts@qwest.net, wits_end@worldnet.att.net (Spencer),
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Where is everyone?
From: Cadamsarch@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:07:34 EDT
Hello Oletruckers,

Winter starts in Minnesota when resort owners at Lake Mille Lacs (big blue
blob in center of your MN highway map) drag about five-thousand ice fishing
houses out to the middle of the big blue blob, by then frozen hard and a big
white
blob. These fish houses join about ten-thousand dragged out by non-resort
owners.

Resort owners, unwilling to admit they do this as a hobby, need to get paying
customers out to the fish houses to do things like fish, quaff cold ones, and
talk about Oletrucks they had as kids and never should have sold. The snow is
too deep and the ice is too unpredictable to run old school buses. (The Cuban
AD with a prop would be great in summer, but, then, soft ice makes keeping
track of fish houses tricky, at best.)

Resort owners come to the job with a lot of common sense. They put it to work
by taking an almost old Suburban (newer than Task Force), adding bogey wheels
and tracks to the rear suspension, trading front wheels for beefed up snow
mobile skis, and installing about five extra heaters. The result looks like
someone's dream of a civilian conversion of a military half-track gone bad.
Suspension and body lifts equal about two feet. The highway patrol stays on the
highway, so exhaust systems are minimal. Typical paint job is rattle can camo.
Nonetheless, these beasts get the job done.

When they roll, Minnesota winter is here.

Regards and don't let the cold ones freeze,

Culver Adams
1931 Chevy coupe
1951 Chevy 3100
(Sort of thinking about a 1962 Suburban, some bogey wheels, and other parts.)
---
In a message dated 10/13/03 11:49:22 AM Central Daylight Time,