Re: [oletrucks] Alternate Battery Location

To: bekett@uslink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternate Battery Location
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:22:44 -0500
I plan on moving the battery on my '56 Stepside from the passenger side
firewall to the frame underneith the passenger side, then installing a set
of cables and terminals in the engine compartment in case the battery goes
dead and needs to be jumped.  Reason I'm moving the battery is I plan to
make and install a metal cover over the firewall to give it a 'smoothed'
look.

There is a good article in the December Classic Trucks magazine
(www.classictrucksweb.com) showing install of a frame mounted drop-down
battery box.  I don't plan on paying $150+ for a drop-down box, but will
make one with the help of my friends who are great with metalwork and
welding.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL

>From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
>To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternate Battery Location
>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:41:09 -0500
>
>I've seen AD trucks with a 12 volt battery mounted in the same position
>as on TF trucks, passenger side upper firewall, using the same battey
>shelf as a TF truck.  It looked like it belonged there.  If you can
>look at a TF, it should give you some ideas.
>
>I like the 58-59 mount better than the 55-57.  The main difference
>is that the 55-7 needs a metal retainer around the top of the battery
>to hold it down.  This retainer comes really close to the posts and
>looks like a potential short waiting to happen.  The 58-59 mount
>uses a top retainer that bolts from front to back of the battery,
>well away from the terminals.  Both are shown in the Chevy Duty
>TF catalog.
>
>On the good side, this is a very workable mount.  On the bad side,
>the battery is staring you in the face when you open the hood.
>
>Bruce Kettunen
>57 3200
>Mt. Iron, MN
>
>Bruce K
>
>At Thursday, 23 October 2003, you wrote:
>
> >I need to move my battery location from under the passenger side
>floor to the
> >engine compartment or some other accessible location on my '52 Burb.
>I'm
> >installing a SBC w/ auto. What is the best location...on the firewall?
>on the
> >frame? If on the firewall what location? Is there a particular battery
> >(year and
> >model) tray and mount that works best?
> >Thanks, Steve G.

>EASY and FREE access to your email anywhere: http://Mailreader.com/

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!