Re: [oletrucks] Questions on Mods to 52 Burb

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Questions on Mods to 52 Burb
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:21:04 -0700
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:31:25 EST
> From: IDPHR@aol.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] Questions on Mods to 52 Burb
>
> I've installed 4 wheel disc brakes on my '52 Burb. I have used a set (4) of
> Monte Carlo discs . I  have a 70 "A" car power brake booster and a 70 "A" car
> master cylinder for a front disc and rear drum setup.
> My question 1) does the '70 master cylinder have enough "juice" for this
> setup? 2) if not, would a 69-70 Camaro 4 wheel disc master cylinder work with
>the
> 70 "A" booster? or 3) is their another master cylinder I could get that would
> work with that booster?
> Thanks, Steve G.

The only problem I can see with using the disc/drum master cylinder is
that the reservoir for the rear brakes is small, and may run out of
fluid if you don't check the fluid level and the brake pads wear a lot.
  That's not real likely...but that's why the reservoir for the disc
side of the master cylinder is so much larger, it supplies the fluid
that fills the calipers as the pads wear.

Corvettes used 4 wheel disc brakes from 65 on....the early 70s vintage
master cylinders for vettes with power brakes should work ok for your
setup.  it might even be the same one that was used in the Camaro.  Note
that these cars (as well as the early Camaro 4 wheel discs) used 4
piston calipers, not single piston.  I think the total swept piston
volume of both is about the same, so it will probably work ok.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2