Re: [oletrucks] Changing your REAR END GEAR RATIO on 47-53

To: bob_keeland@usgs.gov (Bobby D Keeland)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Changing your REAR END GEAR RATIO on 47-53
From: Tom3600@webtv.net (Toms OLTRUK49)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:55:33 -0600 (CST)
 E-mail message
<<<<<<<<<<<From: bob_keeland@usgs.gov (Bobby D Keeland) Date: Fri,
Oct 31, 2003,

OK Tom,
            Please do tell us more. I like the
idea of keeping most of the original rearend, but changing the gears.
What has this gear change done to your low end torque and top speed? Can
you hit 70 on the interstate and still have a happy motor?

BobK<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bob ~

With my Chevy S10 T5 speed transmission the 4.10 gear ratio is almost
perfect for low end torque and top end speed.   I would never feel too
comfortable going 70 MPH with my stock brakes and suspension anyway.
Of course if you are talking about using the 4.10 rear gears with the
stock "stump puller" GM 4 speed I doubt if you could get more than about
55 - 60 MPH.   As an example if you now can go 55 mph with your 4.57 you
will be able to go about 61 MPH with the 4.10 rearend gears.

4.57 divided by 4.10 = 1.115 X 55 = 61 MPH

Tom