Re: [oletrucks] Welder needed.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welder needed.
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:20:13 -0600
One other thought on this, if your local high school or tech school
offers a night class on welding, take it.  The class here has a number
of different welders in the booths ranging from 110V stick welders
to some nice MIG welders for the students to try out.

Don't rule out oxy-acetyline gas welding too.  Slow, but extremely
controllable.  Give it a try.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Thursday, 06 November 2003, you wrote:

>Mark
>a lot depends on the money you want to spend. for $1500 you have
a stick,
>tig, mig welder that your neighbors will envy. I bought a Lincoln
Weld Pac
>100 at Home Depot 3 yrs ago for $330, that I have been real happy with.
>www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=7106
>It's a 110Vwire feed, 30-100 AMP welder. I leave it set up on flux
core wire
>but it can easily be converted to MIG for $130. I like it for the
>portability, if thats not a concern, I would step up to the 220V
unit. Both
>can weld up to 1/4" (3/8" if you know how to weld). There is not
a 1/4"
>piece of metal on any truck I have owned. I used to be a pipe welder
years
>ago and thought you needed 300 amps @ 100% duty cycle to be a decent
welder.
>If your not production welding or putting up water towers, the smaller
>welders are easier to weld sheet metal with.
>My neighbors have stick welders, guess who does their welding. me.
>None of them will be any good if you don't know how to weld.
>Kurt
>58 Apache project
>59 3800 panel 4sale
>
>>From: "mark treutelaar" <phoneman@ticon.net>